Friday, July 20, 2012

marvelous mongol


You know me.  Whenever I find something awesome, I just don’t share it. I rave about it! Haha...

Mongol.  Hindi ito yong lapis na kinakagat-kagat natin while we were listening to our teachers back in grade school.  It’s one epic movie which is Kazakhstan’s entry to the 2008 Oscar Awards for Best Foreign Language Film.  I haven’t seen the other nominees, much more the winner (The Counterfeiters from Austria) but based on how I reacted to this film, Mongol is gonna be one of my newest faves.  Ito yong pelikulang pwede ko namang i-pause ang player para kumuha ng inumin o mag-cr and yet I didn’t.  I was so wrapped up in the story I just can’t leave the screen for one second.

I’ll put it up right within the league of monumental epics of recent years like Gladiator and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon – both in my top ten best films (see my previous posts in 2 parts under label: my top tens).  And now that I found this film, kailangan ko nang i-revamp yong list na yon.  Coz I just can’t let this film fall on the wayside.  It just has to be in my top ten faves. 

Paano naman hindi ako bibilib dito eh sa cinematography pa lang panalong-panalo na.  Think of the Mongolian landscape – golden sand dunes, lush green hills, pristine white snow-capped mountains, gorgeous winding streams and everything you could ever imagine in a land so blessed by nature. All these mesmerizing beauty serving as a picturesque backdrop while a highly compelling story is being told. 

And what a beautiful story it was.  It’s about Temujin, how at 9 he lost his father, found his bride, found a blood brother who later on became his enemy, how he rose from being a slave, fought so many battles  and in the end became the revered Genghis Khan to the Mongols. Yes, the Genghis Khan we read about in our textbooks. It might not be a factual biopic.  But it sure is one hell of a story only brilliant minds can present to us in such a sweeping, dramatic and epic manner.
.
Sergei Bodrov, a Russian-American director is the guy I’d thank for such a wonderful piece of work. He was ably supported by Dashi Namdakov whose production design gave us an authentic insight to the nomadic life of the 1100’s Mongolians. And, as I mentioned before, the poignant cinematography by Sergey Trofimov and Rogier Stoffers completing the visual feast this movie so bountifully offers.

And of course, the actors did their part.  Tadanobu Asano, a Japanese actor (you’ve probably seen him in Thor), played the adult Temujin with conviction.  He was gentle in the company of loved ones yet brutal in the battlefield.  He was wise and crafty at times but follows what his heart dictates.  He exudes power, strength, wisdom, compassion and all the characteristics Genghis Khan is supposed to have.

Not to be overshadowed, Sun Honglei, a Chinese actor, played Jamukha to perfection.  Good thing Tadanobu played Temujin so strongly.  Otherwise Sun’s character, villain as it maybe, could have stolen your sympathy so easily.



This film may have not been a box office hit (maybe because of very limited release) but it won wide critical acclaim.  Nominated in so many international films, won major awards in some and even the notorious and merciless Rotten Tomatoes site gave this film an 86% approval rating.  This, once again, proves my point that Hollywood doesn’t have the monopoly of great films. Kaya alam nyo na ang kasunod, it’s my prodding for you to watch it coz it’s worth the 120 minutes of your life.


No comments: